What is Pelvic Health Physiotherapy?
Pelvic health physiotherapy is a specialized physiotherapy treatment for urinary or anal/fecal incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, lumbopelvic pain, painful intercourse (dyspareunia) and perinatal conditions. Treatment is customized to each patient and often integrates pelvic floor muscle re-training, helpful advice on bowel and bladder habits, nutrition and hands-on techniques from the therapist.
Who is a candidate for pelvic health physiotherapy?
- Leak urine when they cough, laugh, sneeze or exercise
- Leak urine due to inability to hold during strong urges
- Urinate more than 8 times a day
- Have difficulty initiating urination
- Feel that they have not fully emptied their bladder after urination
- Have feeling of pressure or heaviness in their pelvic region
- Strain to have a bowel movement
- Experience pain during or after bowel movement
- Have pain with sexual intercourse or difficulty with penetration
- Have pelvic pain (vaginal, rectal or perineal)
- Have pelvic girdle, buttock, low back or coccyx pain
- Had an Episotomy, Forceps delivery or C section
- Pregnant women who would like to prevent tearing during labor
Have been diagnosed with:
- Stress or Urge Incontinence
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Over Active Bladder
- Pregnancy related pain (pre and post-partum)
- Interstitial Cystitis
- Puedental Neuralgia or Entrapments
How will Pelvic Health Physiotherapy Help Me?
Physiotherapy is internationally recognized as the first choice of treatment for incontinence and prolapse. We use evidence based therapy techniques and a team based approach to treatment. If you want to get control of your body and live your life to your fullest potential come see a pelvic health therapist at Evidence Sport and Spinal.